Backpack Interactive is a small but mighty edTech strategy, UX, and UI design studio. We are committed to serving our educational and non-profit partners with products and interactive experiences that support teachers and students where they are. We look to hire the very best design thinkers and problem solvers we can find to join our award-winning team.
You will be responsible for creating smart UX and then turning that into beautiful, production-ready UI designs. You’ll work collaboratively with the Backpack and development teams to make sure products and experiences meet user experience and educational goals while pushing design to the forefront. This role demands thoughtful execution, an obsession with quality, the optimism to creatively solve problems while keeping the user in mind, and the ambition to take projects from start to finish.
If you’re an experienced designer who sees the big picture, revels in the small details, and is eager for the opportunity to learn, grow, and contribute to great work in a low-ego, maker-centric environment, then we should talk.
Skills and qualities we look for:
- 2–4 years of professional UX/UI design experience (solid UI work is a must)
- A well-organized and relevant portfolio that demonstrates your visual design skills and creative problem-solving abilities
- Strong visual design and typography skills (this is not a UX-only position)
- An understanding of the end-to-end interactive design process
- Willing and able to jump into a project at any point and support on different design needs (i.e. UX, UI, Production)
- Experience using appropriate UX methods and design thinking to inform solutions
- Attention to detail
- Expertise using and/or similar digital design tools (i.e. Figma, Sketch, and Adobe XD)
- Familiarity with Zeplin and experience with prototyping tools (i.e. Marvel or InVision)
- Excellent written, verbal, and visual communication and presentation skills
- Confidence in your expertise and perspective, but eager to learn from others
- A passion for working collaboratively
- Big plus: experience designing for kids, education, or games
- Bonus plus: classroom experience
To apply for this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your cover letter, resume, and a link to your online portfolio. Applications without portfolios and cover letters will not be considered. The position is for full-time work.