At Backpack Interactive, we believe in the bigger picture. We’re a small but mighty strategy, UX and design studio committed to serving educational technology and non-profit projects that make the world a better place. Our clients demand results, so our employees have to make complex choices quickly. We want you to make big decisions and to be accountable for them. The only way it works is by hiring the very best design thinkers and problem solvers we can find. Sound like you? We’re seeking a thoughtful, experienced mid-level interactive designer to join us on-site at our DUMBO headquarters.
You’ll be a member of our award-winning team, responsible for helping to create beautiful, production-ready designs, then working closely with development teams to make sure they turn out just the way you had envisioned. The role demands thoughtful execution, an obsession with quality, the optimism to creatively solve problems while keeping the user in mind, and the ambition to take projects from start to finish.
If you’re an experienced designer who sees the big picture, revels in the small details, and is eager for the opportunity to learn, grow, and contribute to great work in a low-ego, maker-centric environment, then let’s talk.
Skills and qualities we look for:
- 2–3 years of professional design experience
- A design-related degree or experience
- A portfolio that demonstrates your creative problem-solving abilities
- Attention to detail
- Strong typography skills
- Expertise using both Sketch and Adobe Creative Suite
- Proficient with Zeplin, and InVision or Marvel
- Excellent written, verbal, and visual communication and presentation skills
- Confident in your expertise and perspective, but eager to learn from others
- Fluent in a variety of prototyping methods and tools to explore and communicate ideas along the way.
- An understanding of the end-to-end interactive design process
- Experience using appropriate UX methods and design thinking to inform solutions
- A passion for working collaboratively
- Big plus: experience designing for kids, education or games
To apply for this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your cover letter, resume and a link to your online portfolio. Applications without portfolios and cover letters will not be considered. The position is for full-time work onsite in our DUMBO office.